PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting suspension

Humvee21
11-21-2012, 03:12 AM
This was a while back like last year. I was riding my Wolverine 450 on the usual small track nearby and it had just rained hard for a whole week. I noticed there was a section that used to be flat and smooth, but became bumpy deep whoops. I took it way too fast and I was obviously running out of suspension travel. The rear kicked up and flung me forward off the quad.

So now I am trying to adjust my rear suspension, since I can adjust it from the factory.

My question is in this type of situation should I adjust my preload to be stiffer or softer? I would think softer to absorb more but softer would just mean that I would run out of suspension travel quicker because I am losing damping??

I have no idea. I'm a complete newb to the suspension stuff so help me out

nosbusa
11-21-2012, 03:17 AM
at those speeds, i think is better to upgrade your oem suspension first. just like our raptors, they can only take so much before needing more travel

Humvee21
11-21-2012, 03:20 AM
I jsut don't feel that it's necessary to upgrade for me because this is the only instance I have ever outran my stock suspension. And I have ridden this quad since new in 2006. I was hoping maybe I could try to maximize the stock suspension's capability and then upgrade if needed

SBA800
11-21-2012, 03:22 AM
well, it depends why your rear is getting kicked, is it running out of room, or is it because its to stiff. could be either or.

and changes would need to be made accordingly. spend some time in the section trying different settings to see what works, then you know for future reference.

i have adjustable shocks on my sled, still have to get it dialed in for my riding style, but it depends on the riding you are doing as to what you need.

nosbusa
11-21-2012, 03:22 AM
a stiffer shock will rebound quicker allowing it to be ready for the next bump. a softer shock will provide a smother ride

Humvee21
11-21-2012, 03:25 AM
Right now I adjusted the preload to softer. I just haven't had the chance to go test it yet. But I'll keep everyone's advice in mind. Thanks

ISFast
11-21-2012, 03:25 AM
I would say you ran out of travel. Right now my 700 is set up pretty soft due to the way i drive but I feel like if i was going to run through whoops I would need it set up a little stiffer so it would soak up but not bottom out. If you are bottoming out when it needs to be stiff. But i really dont know that much about shock set up.

Humvee21
11-21-2012, 11:07 AM
I would say you ran out of travel. Right now my 700 is set up pretty soft due to the way i drive but I feel like if i was going to run through whoops I would need it set up a little stiffer so it would soak up but not bottom out. If you are bottoming out when it needs to be stiff. But i really dont know that much about shock set up.

My thoughts exactly. I'll give the soft a try for now because it's getting a little stiff for my back

nosbusa
11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
My thoughts exactly. I'll give the soft a try for now because it's getting a little stiff for my back
you arent old........

Humvee21
11-21-2012, 12:47 PM
I am not... that's just how f'ed up my back is

nosbusa
11-21-2012, 11:27 PM
wimp......

haha, i know all about back problems. i had surgery earlier this year. hope you heal well