PDA

View Full Version : Pro Moto Billet spark arrestor/endcap mod

aarons419
12-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share a simple and relatively quick/cheap way to get a spark arrestor onto your dirt bike if you don't have one.

Pro Moto Billet Endos are billet endcap replacements for factory mufflers and come with a USFS spark arrestor screen. I had looked at getting a full muffler but for my bike and budget it didn't make sense because first, I wouldn't gain much of any power with an aftermarket can (what all the shootouts way back when said about the YZ426) and I didn't feel like spending $250+ to simply get USFS legal.

So I paid $134 shipped for this endcap. When I got it I was impressed with the quality. It's a very solid piece and the fit and finish were perfect for the three pieces that came in the package. Basically you get a billet end cap that inserts into the muffler and is either riveted or bolted to the can. You also get a spark screen and a color matched (to your brand, eg; Yamaha is blue, Honda is red, etc..) secondary end cap for lack of a better term, that holds your spark screen in.

So here's what I started with:

http://i.imgur.com/jjtg8l.jpg

Installation was pretty straight forward since it came with really well written instructions. First up was to take a 13/64" drill bit and drill out the stock rivets. Then after they've all been drilled out you just take a center punch, or anything that'll fit in the hole really since you don't need a lot of pressure, and push what is left of the rivet into the muffler

Once that's done you simply pull the endcap out. Theoretically anyway. I ended up using a rubber mallet and tapped the "stinger" portion of the endcap to loosen it and get it to fall out. The instructions also note that you can use a heat gun to help the seal let go if needed.

Then, the new PMB end cap drops right into the muffler, once again, a rubber mallet is a nice thing to have around to tap it down since its a tight fit.

http://i.imgur.com/c0iGOl.jpg

Once it's in nice and flush the next step is to use your 13/64" drill bit and drill out the end cap for the self tapping screws that are provided. It's a simple process of drilling out the hole installing the screw, and then tapping the cap with the rubber mallet to get it flush again before repeating on the next hole.

http://i.imgur.com/upMd8l.jpg

Once that's all done and the cap is secured, it's a simple matter of dropping in the spark screen and using the three allen head bolts to bolt on the other end cap.

Finished product:

http://i.imgur.com/qlWQ0l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DH5OKl.jpg

I'll update this after I've taken it out and tested it on my bike, but overall I'm really happy with it.

NickPic83
12-28-2012, 11:32 PM
looks good man, glad u like it

aarons419
01-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Completely forgot about updating this, but after taking it out a few times and doing some riding with it, I really like it. It's nice to know I'm not going to be setting the desert on fire too.

nosbusa
01-08-2013, 03:57 AM
where do you store it? you really carry it down the stairs everytime you take it out?

aarons419
01-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Nah I have a storage unit close to my house that I keep the bikes in. I carried my daughter's bike up/down the stairs one time and that was enough. I hurt my back doing that.

nosbusa
01-08-2013, 10:15 PM
you should ride it up and down those stairs

aarons419
01-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Don't think I hadn't thought about it. After what a colossal ass my neighbor was last night, I'm very tempted to park it in front of his door and rev the engine for an hour.

SBA800
01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
what did the neighbor do lol

aarons419
01-09-2013, 08:02 PM
His drunk ass was knocking on his door for a solid HOUR trying to get his wife to let him in. Then he started knocking on the window and hollering. All of this was at like 2am. He magically stopped when my wife decided to call the cops, so we never had to.

aarons419
01-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Yay for my review thread getting off-track, lol.

NickPic83
01-09-2013, 08:32 PM
well its full of FRF'rs what did u think was gonna happen lol

aarons419
01-10-2013, 12:40 AM
Troof!

nosbusa
01-10-2013, 01:25 AM
hey, you derailed your own thread at post #7. what do you expect? you know we are going to ask what happened.

aarons419
01-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Yeah I know its my fault, whatever. Not like it was a big loss.

SBA800
01-10-2013, 02:54 PM
so just curious, what exactly is the spark arrestor for?

aarons419
01-10-2013, 03:54 PM
It's just a cool metal screen that the US Forest Service has decided stops sparks from exiting the exhaust and starting massive wildfires. To me the idea seems pretty preposterous, but it's the law, so what can you do.

nosbusa
01-10-2013, 05:59 PM
it arrests and prosecutes the spark if it tries to escape.........

SBA800
01-10-2013, 06:47 PM
It's just a cool metal screen that the US Forest Service has decided stops sparks from exiting the exhaust and starting massive wildfires. To me the idea seems pretty preposterous, but it's the law, so what can you do.

ah, ok. so its a necessity.
thought maybe it changed the sound or something.
damn laws eh

it arrests and prosecutes the spark if it tries to escape.........

best definition. a+

aarons419
01-11-2013, 11:24 AM
When I lived up in WA still, there was a kid who apparently went riding out in the woods without a spark arrestor, and somehow said forest caught on fire. Well the USFS determined that it was a spark from a dirt bike that started the fire (how they did that I'll never know) and so they ended up tracking this kid down and once they found a bike with no SA, they put the blame for the fire on him. With the blame came the bill for the fire which was millions of dollars.

nosbusa
01-11-2013, 06:49 PM
like he is really going to be able to pay that.......

aarons419
01-11-2013, 09:53 PM
That was my thought too. Who knows what they ended up working out. I'm guessing he wasn't getting any federal aid for college though after that, lol.

nosbusa
01-31-2013, 01:18 AM
aaron is my bitch